Thursday 30 June 2016

David Tennant Treat 4 Today for Thursday 30th June 2016

Today the David Tennant Treat 4 Today is a David Tennant interview about getting his role in Jessica Jones and about Broadchurch.

IndieWire had a recent interview with David Tennant about Jessica Jones in which he was asked about how he was offered the part of Kilgrave in Marvel's Jessica Jones.

Other interviews have spoken to showrunner Melissa Rosenberg who mentioned that she originally wanted David in the role but he was busy with other projects and in this interview David explained 'I got approached at the end of December last year and we were shooting in February. I’d heard that they were perhaps tracking me a little bit — I was under option to various other things, options which then lapsed which then allowed them to approach me. I believe that there might have been a bit of that going on — but I was blissfully unaware of anything until about six weeks before we started shooting.'

David continued 'I got told about what it was, that it was the second of these four Marvel shows that Netflix was developing. That piqued my interest because I’ve been a Marvel comics fan for all my life and obviously more recently, I’ve been a fan of what Marvel have been doing on the TV and in the cinema. So that all felt like the sort of place I was interested in being, but I didn’t know the particular property. It’s not one of Marvel’s more ubiquitous titles. So the pitch then was I got sent two scripts for one and two. If you’ve seen the show, Kilgrave doesn’t really show up, it was just sort of a silhouette and the back of my head in those. So I got sent two scripts and I read them and I thought, "These are great scripts and clearly Kilgrave is very central to all of this, but at the same time, it’s a little bit hard to imagine quite what I’ll be doing."

Then I spoke to Melissa Rosenberg, our showrunner, and I spoke to Jeph Loeb, who’s the head of Marvel Television and they sort of pitched the rest of the show and roughly where it was going to go. They talked about what the character might do, I got sent a couple of scenes from later episodes; draft scenes to give me a flavor of what the character might be like when he actually showed up. That was all very intriguing and very exciting because from the two scripts I did read, I could tell it was great writing and that it was going to be something special. 

But it was a bit of a gamble, if I’m honest. I didn’t really know what I was letting myself in for. But I just think that good writing is the thing you always chase. Storytelling that makes you want to come back for more. So when that presents itself, you kind of think it’s a bit of a gamble, but it’s probably a gamble worth taking.'

David was then asked about his role in Jessica Jones and about the drama (this section contains very minor spoilers) before being asked about his current and future plans. He replied 'Well, I’m re-rehearsing a play at the moment. I’m working with the Royal Shakespeare Company doing Richard II which I did a couple of years ago. We’re re-rehearsing that to put it in with a sort of sequence of Shakespeare history plays in London and in New York. Stagework still feels like my day job, really, because that’s where I started. Although I probably spend more time filming these days, I always feel like I’m going home a bit when I do a play. 

So I’ve got that coming up and then there’s a film that I think is going to happen, although I’m always a bit nervous about relying on them until you’re there. Then I’m doing another season of Broadchurch which I’ve done a couple of times now. But again, it’s quite a varied bunch of stuff, which I continually feel very fortunate to get to keep mixing it up. It’s all I ever hoped to do, really.'

The interviewer concluded by asking David 'What’s different for you about going from a first season show to then going back to Broadchurch for a third season?' David's answer was 'It depends on the show, it depends on the people. I mean Broadchurch is an incredibly happy bunch. It’ll be enormously good fun to be back in amongst that bunch of people, and it’ll be a show that we’ve all come to love, working with Chris Chibnall’s script, which is high-quality stuff. It’ll be nice to be back doing something that I’ve had such great experiences with in the past. 

I suppose it’s different, returning to a character. There are great advantages to that because you know you’ve got a sure hand with the people that you’re working with. It’s nice to be able to go back to something that you feel comfortable within because then you can sort of hit the ground running in a way that, if it’s a new show, there’s all that sort of negotiation of what you’re trying to achieve and who you are and the people you’re working with. That’s very inspiring, too. It’s just different. And like I say, the variety of types of things and frequency of things is something that I feel very lucky to get to enjoy.'

Link to the IndieWire interview










No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.