Monday 18 September 2017

David Tennant Treat 4 Today for Monday 18th September 2017

The David Tennant Treat 4 Today is an interview with David Tennant which was printed in The Times Magazine on Saturday 11th February 2017.

In the article David discussed his views on various things such as Scottish independence, the BBC reading out people's texts on shows, Doctor Who, Broadchurch, Mad To Be Normal and Don Juan In Soho.

The Times is a subscription newspaper so we did not breach their copyright by posting the full article but it is available to read for free by subscribing to their site. The only new photos from the article were the two on this page but please see the item at the bottom of this page.

The article was titled 'David Tennant: I’m no heart-throb' and David's quote in the article about that was "I think your heart would have to be very throbless to throb for me."

The interviewer, Charlotte Edwardes, described David as 'He’s polite and engaged and almost unnervingly present. There’s no drifting off or looking at his phone or watch. He locks eyes: ready. And aside from the eyes and cheekbones and limbs, there’s little of him – unsurprising given his alert energy, his electric zeal, his workload that means zigzagging the country. He must have the metabolism of a greyhound.'

The quote used  to promote the article was about Scotland going independent, however the article explained it as:
'Despite being a lifelong Labour supporter, he gives Jeremy Corbyn a verbal kicking, saying, “I’m waiting for a great new leader,” and calls everything to do with Brexit “depressing”. He says, “And I’m now at the point where I think if Scotland goes again for a referendum, they should go independent,” before adding, “Politically, I think we’re in for quite a dark time.”

But he won’t do “a Glenda Jackson” and go into politics because he says he’s not clever enough and couldn’t “deal with” Question Time.

“If I could go on Question Time I would,” he promises. “If I really believed I could make a difference, I would. But I feel there are cleverer people who could do it better. I do think there’s a danger in going, ‘Because you’ve seen me in a television programme, my views are more important than someone else’s.’ And there’s a danger in being drawn into proselytising for whatever cause you’re currently passionate about, and I think you just have to use up that capital sparingly. Because also there is no reason why anyone should listen to anything I have to say. Anything.”

But he’s so earnest and committed (and handsome). “My personal views will come out in interviews because I end up talking about them,” he says. “But I don’t expect other people to follow them just because they’re mine.”'

About Broadchurch David spoke about how he liked working with Olivia Colman and the article said about the third series 'they’re on screen most of the time' which was great news for fans of the duo.

About acting in general the interviewer wrote David 'claims to be terribly insecure. “I am! I am!” But what about? “Everything.”

Why? “This kind of job does that to you. Anything where you have to keep being creative means you have to keep being a bit scared because it’s part of what keeps you trying to be better and makes you assume you don’t know what you’re doing. You have to keep challenging and questioning and trying and the side effect of that is that you are often feeling that you’re not managing. Part of trying to be good is believing that you’re not.”

In part, this was his upbringing because although supportive, his parents didn’t want to encourage him in a “negative” way. "Don’t tell him he’s any good!’ That was the way it was then.”'

The article then continued to discuss David's father, his upbringing, his diet as a child and that he didn't like sport (except tennis). It also claimed that he had only ever missed one episode of Doctor Who.

David also discussed his  movie Mad To Be Normal and his play  Don Juan In Soho, who he described about being sexually depraved as "I guess there’s something terrifyingly liberating about it. To strip myself of the Scottish Presbyterian upbringing – which is scaffolded in guilt – and dip my feet into a sea of freedom, sexually and morally, will be rather titillating.

I don’t think I’d like to live my life that way, but I’m quite looking forward to doing it for 90 minutes a night.
"


The photographer David Titlow posted the following collection of unused photos from the article to his blog:















No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.